Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Philadelphia Region is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation and has been McDonald’s “charity of choice” for more than 35 years. The McDonald’s Restaurants of the Greater Philadelphia Region are our largest corporate donors. Portions of our annual operating costs for our Ronald McDonald Houses are graciously funded by this Co-Op. The remainder of our annual operating income comes from generous individual donations (which include the money you put in our RMHC Donation Boxes at our McDonald’s Restaurants!) and corporate donors.
The McDonald’s Owner/Operators of the Greater Philadelphia Region involvement extends beyond monetary giving:
- Our local franchises partner with our local chapter for promotional and fundraising events.
- McDonald’s Owner/Operators sit on our local RMHC boards and committees.
- RMHC Donation Boxes are hosted in restaurants and continue to serve as our largest source of ongoing RMHC global fundraising.
- McDonald’s conducts an annual fundraiser in November called McHappy Day, raising $170 million for RMHC and children’s charities since 2002.
- McDonald’s also conducts an annual fundraiser in March with our Shamrock Shakes promotion – an idea that started here in our region and whose proceeds helped build the first Ronald McDonald house in 1974.
Each year in March, 25 cents from every Shamrock Shake sold is donated to our local chapter:
- During this promotion, McDonald’s also executes a paper shamrock fundraiser where customers can purchase a paper shamrock for one, three or five dollars. Proceeds benefit our local chapter. Since 2010, more than $1.5 million has been raised from Shamrock Shakes and paper shamrocks in our restaurants.