Food Production Assistant
Department: Food Services
Reports to: Food Services Manager
Status: Full-time, Non-exempt, 40 hours/week – Flexible schedule with full week, weekend, evening, and holiday availability required
Pay Rate: $15-$17/hour
Job Summary: As a member of the Food Services Team, the Food Production Assistant works with a team comprised of staff and volunteers to ensure a varied menu of balanced meals for our guest families in a hospitality-driven environment. Assisting in daily meal prep, serving between 150 – 300 guest per day, the Food Production Assistant is also responsible for receiving food product and general inventory deliveries, dishwashing and helping to maintain the cleanliness standards of the kitchen. This position is expected to interact with guest families, volunteers, staff, and vendors in a warm and engaging manner.
This position offers the opportunity to earn ServSafe Food Handler certification following 90-days of employment.
You must be COVID vaccinated to be hired in this role. You will be required to maintain your COVID vaccination status as required by RMHC of the Philadelphia Region.
- Responsible for the receiving of all inventory and food product according to established, rotating stock, and storing appropriately
- Help maintain an inventory supply system to stock pantries and minimize waste, utilizing first-in, first-out (FIFO) procedures
- Follow and assist in maintaining all food safety and sanitation requirements and practices to maintain high standards of quality control, hygiene, health, and safety.
- Follows established recipes and food serving guidelines set by the chefs to ensure all allergy and general food safety
- Work with the Chefs to utilize donated foods and purchased product
- Participate in the safe preparation and serving of food with attention to portion size control and timely service
- Provide allergy-safe alternative meals in addition to the main meal for guests with specific serious allergies/major dietary restrictions
- Responsible for dishwashing as assigned
- Help to maintain the cleanliness, sanitation and equipment maintenance of kitchen and dining areas
- Other duties as assigned
- 1 – 3 years food service experience
- Institutional food service experience preferred, but not necessary
- ServSafe Certification or an equivalent recognized by the National Restaurant Association preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability and desire to provide a high-quality experience for volunteers, donors and guest families
- Extensive knowledge of health and safety rules and regulations pertaining to commercial food establishments including sanitation and maintenance regulations
- Knowledge of commercial kitchen equipment
- Ability to take instruction, desire to learn
- A Team player, respectful of an “open kitchen” environment
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment, while focused on tasks at hand
- Consistently maintain a compassionate, professional, friendly, and approachable demeanor
- Respectful and courteous in all interactions
- Exceptionally reliable
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to sit, stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb
- Ability to push and pull items weighing 50 lbs. or less
- Ability to be in sub 40F degree temperatures for 15-minute intervals while stocking refrigerated food items
- Ability to stand for 6 – 8 hours at a time
The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures
Interested candidates should submit a resume to: HR@rmhcphilly.org