Ronald McDonald Camp
Program Coordinator – Junior Camp
Department: Ronald McDonald Camp
Reports to: Junior Camp Program Director/Camp Director
This is a 12-month, 1099 position with a stipend of $500 per month.
Only candidates residing in the Greater Philadelphia or New York Metropolitan regions will be considered due to the need to participate in-person camp activities during the year.
About RMC: The mission of Ronald McDonald Camp (RMC) is to provide camp programming and special events for children who have been treated and are being treated for cancer as well as their siblings, ages 7-19. Founded in 1986, our one-week overnight camp serves over 240 campers. In addition, we provide virtual programming for campers unable to attend in-person camp, and special events for campers and families throughout the year. Our camper-centered program is designed to foster independence, friendship, and community among campers who share a common experience with cancer. The ultimate goal is to be a place where kids can enjoy being kids.
Ronald McDonald Camp is a program of Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Philadelphia Region (RMHC Philly), which supports families of seriously ill children by creating a community of comfort and hope. Founded in 1974 as the first Ronald McDonald House in the world, we are the model for more than 370 Houses around the globe.
Position Summary: This is a hands-on position, assisting the Junior Camp Program Director in designing and delivering creative daily, evening and special activities for virtual camp, in-person camp and other camp events. It is a leadership position providing creative staff training, camp spirit and support of junior camp counselors during the weeks of camp. All programs are in alignment with ACA Standards and appropriate for campers ages 7 to 12 of varying abilities.
This is a 12-month position. Hours will increase during the summer months including the full week of virtual camp, full week of in-person camp and two (2) days before camp begins at our host camp in the Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains.
You must be COVID vaccinated to be hired in this role. You will be required to maintain your COVID vaccination status as required by RMHC of the Philadelphia Region.
Prior to Camp:
- Assist Program Director with development of programs for virtual and in-person camp, as well as camp events, with attention to themes, creativity and fun
- Assist Program Director with sourcing, distributing and inventory of activity supplies
- Identify community partners/professionals to offer unique programming
- Assist Program Director with monthly counselor planning committee meetings
- Assist in creating a master schedule of daily activities, rest periods, meals and evening programs that meet goals/outcomes, safety and ACA accreditation standards
- Assist with receipt and organization of activity supplies, creation of activity kits and packing of supplies to be delivered to campers or brought to camp
- Assist with rain plan development
- Assist in development of camper activity scheduling process so all campers are assigned activities
- Assist in development and implementation of program training for both activity specialists and volunteer counselors and new counselor orientation
- Review and understand ACA and CDC requirements for safety in program areas and utilizing camp equipment
- Work as a member of the leadership team to add energy and excitement to the camper experience
- Assist leadership team with camp setup and closure
- Assist/support camp office functions
- Maintain positive professional relationships with all staff
- Regularly check in with campers and staff to obtain feedback and troubleshoot
- Assist in evaluation of staff and activities
- Assist in training staff and campers to follow safety procedures
- Assist with final packing and inventory of extra supplies and equipment
- Assist with development of off-season activity programs
- 2-year or 4-year college degree
- Prior leadership/supervisory experience
- Prior outdoor organized youth camp experience
- Acceptable state/federal criminal and child abuse background check
- Ability and commitment to meet deadlines
- A strong desire to be part of a compassionate, mission-focused organization and a love for serving children
- Exhibits a high level of enthusiasm and ability to engage others
- Ability to problem-solve and effectively respond to change and emergencies
- Ability to coordinate and adapt a fun, creative activity program for campers with varying abilities and challenges
- Ability to supervise, train and evaluate staff competency and program success
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Compassionate, professional, friendly presence in person as well as phone and email
- Proficiency with Excel spreadsheets and database systems
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude, encourage teamwork and promote an environment of kindness, acceptance and where staff are able to express themselves creatively within the scope of safe programming
- Ability to work with flexibility in a natural camp environment with continuous physical exertion and long hours
- Ability to position oneself to sit, stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stop, climb, push and pull items weighing 50 lbs. or less
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and resume to RMCampApply@rmhcphilly.org