20 Jul PlannedGiving
There are many ways you can support each and every family we serve that will not have a negative impact on your current lifestyle or you family’s financial security—ways to give that cost you nothing during your lifetime.
Thousands of families have stayed at the Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House since we first opened our doors in 1974. With the addition of a second House in North Philadelphia in 2008 and the expansion of the Chestnut Street House in West Philadelphia in 2019, we will now serve more families than ever before.
There are many ways you can support our programs and guest families while also ensuring you meet your retirement goals and provide for your family. For many people, most of their wealth is not in their wallet or checkbook, it’s in their assets.
Beneficiary Gifts cost you nothing during our lifetime and allow you to make a larger gift than you ever thought possible. Some examples include:
- Include a bequest gift for RMHC Philly in your will or living trust
- Name RMHC Philly as a beneficiary of your qualified retirement plan (IRA, 403(b), 401(k), etc.)
- Name RMHC Philly as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy
- Name RMHC Philly as a beneficiary of your donor-advised fund
How it Works
- Name RMHC Philly in your will, codicil to your will, living trust or as a beneficiary of your retirement plan, life insurance policy or donor-advised fund.
- Designate your gift for a particular purpose that is important to you, or allow us to use the gift where the need is greatest at the time it matures.
- Indicate a percentage, a set amount, or the remaining balance to benefit our mission.
- Complete a Statement of Intention form, or share a copy of the beneficiary designation form or applicable page from your will or trust document to ensure that your wishes are accurately recorded (optional).
As you begin to make plans for your future giving, you may find our Sample Language helpful.
If you’ve owned a stock for more than 12 months that has appreciated in value, you may find that it makes more tax sense to donate the stock rather than make a cash gift. You can avoid capital gains tax and claim an income tax charitable deduction for the full, fair market value of donated stock according to current tax laws. Generally, any unused deduction can be carried forward up to five additional years.
For more information on donating stock and to receive a stock gift form, please contact Lawrence Jacobson, Director of Leadership Giving at Lawrence@rmhcphilly.org or (267) 969-6201.
With gains in the real estate market over the past decades, you may find that a fair portion of your net worth is tied up in your home, vacation property, undeveloped land or commercial real estate. Using these assets to make charitable gifts may be an ideal way to support RMHC Philly and meet your own planning needs.
RMHC Philly will consider outright gifts of real property after assessing the expenses and risks in comparison to the value of the gift. Potential gifts of real estate will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and RMHC retains the right to refuse a gift during negotiations without incurring cost or liability.
To discuss a possible donation of real estate, please contact Lawrence Jacobson, Director of Leadership Giving at Lawrence@rmhcphilly.org or (267) 969-6201.
Setting up a charitable gift annuity (CGA) is a simple way to provide yourself (or one or two other people) with guaranteed fixed income for life while supporting RMHC Philly. CGAs are tremendously flexible, with options that provide payments to one or two annuitants beginning immediately or on a future date (or date range) that you choose. With all CGA options, you benefit from an immediate charitable income tax deduction for a portion of the funding amount, and part of each payment is tax-free.
For more information, please contact Lawrence Jacobson, Director of Leadership Giving at Lawrence@rmhcphilly.org or (267) 969-6201.